Deus Ex Revision
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » General » Linux (functionality under Linux)
Linux
kalasmDate: Saturday, 2008-12-13, 0:37 AM | Message # 1
Visitor
Group: Checked
Hi there,
I'm really looking forward to test full patch version on Linux.
The original full game ran out-of-the-box via wine. Hope it remains like that:) We'll see eventually, won't we ...

How difficult the process of patching is gonna be...? Just unpack all to installation file, or the ".exe" self-extractor?

There ain't really a great deal of Linux users around here, even thou I guess this patch might have been quite popular amongst Linux users.
If all goes well, I won' hesitate to let other users know. ...Hope it turns like that! Keep up! smile

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2008-12-14, 2:03 PM | Message # 2
Creator & Mapper
Group: Administrators
Hey Kalasm. The next "patch" will be here soon. It is going to be very simple installation. It's an exe. file so it will do all the work for you just like in my previous release. But this time you dont have to back-up any maps because Revision will be installed in a separate folder. If Deus Ex works fine in your comp - so does Revision. Revision only brings new maps,sounds,weapons,texts and some new characters.

bjorn98009_91Date: Sunday, 2008-12-14, 6:45 PM | Message # 3
Coder & General Support
Yup, however you should probably restore the backup maps you made during your first Revision install. The best thing would be to remove Revision completely before installing version 1.2 because it's the complete version and not a patch. It contains all the maps and files required and puts them in different directories that the previous release.
This step is not necessary but you might want to do it anyway...

Oh, forgot... The installer won't run under Linux :/
It's based on Windows Installer technology, it might work under Wine, but I highly doubt it.

Message edited by bjorn98009_91 - Sunday, 2008-12-14, 9:39 PM

Kee715Date: Sunday, 2008-12-14, 8:18 PM | Message # 4
True fan
Group: Users
I've heard Linux sucks unless you look hard for the right one, is that true? Also good luck getting Revision to work, great mod biggrin

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with a Minigun, Chainsaw, and a big a** Cannon.
I'm a gamer at heart, but I'm limited by my surroundings...

bjorn98009_91Date: Sunday, 2008-12-14, 9:40 PM | Message # 5
Coder & General Support
The new demo is almost finished on my end... wink

kalasmDate: Sunday, 2008-12-14, 10:51 PM | Message # 6
Visitor
Hey, thanks for replies, much appreciated!
I have not really tried The Revision yet, since I dont play that often any more... but I will check back later, once i try the full version;).
Im just curious what mine prospect of playability are smile

As for the linux - much more important is a version of Wine (software that enables to run .exe programmes under linux). I have currently version 0.9.58 in my PCLinuxOS. This version offered a full playability (everything is just the same as in Windows - Instalation/Gameplay/Multiplayer) even thou the 1.x.x versions are supposed to offer further compatibility than any previous version.

The .exe file might have been fine, unless I use "Crossover games" software (which prohibits to install twice to the same folder). This software focuses specifically on running games under linux. Therefore simple unpackable .rar (or tar.gz ;)) could have been the simpliest, yet most reliable solution. But who am I to decide...do it as you see fit, yo course biggrin

PS: Since there aint that many games for linux, it is easier to make yourself a name once samething works that smooth as DeusEx and looks that fine as this project of yours. And i bet i wont be the only linux user to be interested! wink

Added (2008-12-14, 10:51 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Kee715)
I've heard Linux sucks unless you look hard for the right one, is that true?

Well, The "Linux question" itself is quite an interesting topic, but for different forums (no propaganda follows, rest assured:)!)
Therefore I shall be brief - there are many distribution, yet the core of the operating system is always the same. Just the preinstalled sofware and design differs. Some distributions are meant for first-time linux users, others require profound knowledge of what you are doing (but enables you to set up the OS just the way you like it and keep the full control). But If you are a serious player, do not expect linux to be a better platform (over Windows). ... Games are simply made for Windows.

Generally, most rewarding would have been distribution which -unlike the best known Ubuntu- have all the codecs and you just plug the CD, load the live version and test it for yourself (without any changes to what is installed on hard drive => ideal for cases of emergency, when Windows refuse to start and you need datas on the disk:)

If you are Interested, try PCLinuxOS, Mint, Greenie or Slax for "the start" and see for yourself.

Message edited by kalasm - Sunday, 2008-12-14, 11:05 PM

bjorn98009_91Date: Tuesday, 2008-12-16, 7:11 PM | Message # 7
Coder & General Support
I've tested Revision with the installer... It works great under Linux with Wine. biggrin However, the uninstall feature doesn't for some unknown reason... I tested with Ubuntu, if you want more details like the version used and so on just ask...

And the OTP fix that I was talking about does not work with Linux... sad

kalasmDate: Tuesday, 2008-12-16, 8:58 PM | Message # 8
Visitor
Thx for testing on my behalf biggrin
...The major motive for me to leave a note, was to let authors know about linux users smile ... Since the game itself works great, the potential is quite high here (at least I do hope so).
The uninstall aint a problem ... I quess I just delete the file ... no registry there within linux (thx god).

Im just sorry to be that terribly out of date...not knowing what the "OTP fix" is smile (sorry)

bjorn98009_91Date: Tuesday, 2008-12-16, 9:23 PM | Message # 9
Coder & General Support
http://deusexrevision.ucoz.net/forum/2-44-1
Read that one, I started talking about it in the second post if you begin at the bottom.

kalasmDate: Tuesday, 2008-12-16, 11:53 PM | Message # 10
Visitor
I get it, thx!

Since I have not tried that yet, I live only with the imagination, vivid thou smile ...
But that is only an inconvenience, right....? Still playable...?!

I dont really plan to play over 1024x768.
Im too lazy to switch down the Compiz-Fusion <=> playing on lower resolution (than native 1280x1024) proves to be faultless while playing 3D games with C-F turned on)

bjorn98009_91Date: Tuesday, 2008-12-16, 11:57 PM | Message # 11
Coder & General Support
It's still playable, but not looking good. But If you're not planning on playing over 1024x768 it shouldn't be a problem.

Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » General » Linux (functionality under Linux)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright Deus Ex Revision © 2024