Deus Ex Revision
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » Suggestions » suggestions about Paris
suggestions about Paris
Babeuf97Date: Wednesday, 2009-12-09, 11:58 AM | Message # 1
Visitor
Group: Users
Hello everyone!
Being new on this forum I think I should start with introducing myself. (it is not the best place to do it for sure, but I won't be long)
I have been checking your website for a while, and I have to say it is such a great work that you are doing, congratulations! I've been a Deus ex fan since it was released and can't wait to play Revision.

I just realized you might be re-doing Paris levels by now.
Living in Paris, I must say that in the original version of Deus ex Paris did not look right . It was far too small in my opinion, and not very convincing. I mean, Deus ex is not a realistic game,of course, yet I think those levels should have been made more true to life because otherwise it destroys the immersion.

For example, the cathedral does not stand for any existing cathedral, which is a bit disappointing given that real monuments are included in the game ( the statue of Liberty,Castle Clinton) . Making it look more like Notre-Dame de Paris could be a great way of improving it (though I don't know if this would ever be possible using the Unreal Engine for I can't program nor build game levels myself).

Then, in Denfert-Rochereau -before you go into the catacombs- there is a grate which prevents you from accessing the square with the lion statue. Maybe this should be fixed?

Also it is said in the game that Paris is under martial law whereas all you can see in the streets is just normal cops (and maybe also a few riot cops if i do remember well).What about including a few French soldiers in the game, as they are actually patrolling important locations in Paris (such as the Tour Eiffel or the main stations, due to the terrorist threat)?

I've been searching the internet for some pictures which could be inspiring . I can send them to you if you are interested. I'll also be able to take a few myself if needed.

I'm not telling you what you should do (as I said, I don't know anything about level editors), as you may have worked things out already; I just hope this helps.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm doing my best^^
oh, and sorry for the long post!

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Babeuf.

EDIT: As JC points out "French army has nothing to do with the coup" So let's forget about this one.
However, riot cops could be added instead.

Message edited by Babeuf97 - Wednesday, 2009-12-09, 4:11 PM

TrasherDate: Friday, 2009-12-11, 0:17 AM | Message # 2
Creator & Mapper
Group: Administrators
Hello Babeuf97, nice to see new faces here!

We have not started working on Paris yet. These past few months we've been upgrading the NYC part. For more info & screenshots visit this link:

http://www.moddb.com/mods....inished

About Paris.. We would love to have some pictures from there. Especially pictures from alleys,streets, etc.. Just hand 'em over. That way we can get a lot of inspiration which really helps us. smile

Paris in vanilla Deus Ex was indeed very empty and boring. We will do our best to make the level as entertaining as possible.
Thanks for all the suggestions. If you got more, please let us know.

Babeuf97Date: Friday, 2009-12-11, 6:32 PM | Message # 3
Visitor
Hello,
thanks for you kind answer.
Trasher, I just sent you a PM with my e-mail address so you can get the files.

Sorry, no more suggestions for now...as for the pictures, I will keep you informed smile

bjorn98009_91Date: Saturday, 2009-12-12, 0:42 AM | Message # 4
Coder & General Support
Group: Administrators
Hi Babeuf97, nice too see some one new here!

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your suggestion.

Babeuf97Date: Saturday, 2009-12-12, 6:58 PM | Message # 5
Visitor
Hi,
just trying to help! once again thanks for welcoming me.
I forgot to mention the new Hell's Kitchen is awesome! It is a huge improvement to the original game. Don't change it.
I also liked what you did with the Ton. Yet I have a question: isn't Smuggler's entry a bit too obvious for an arm dealer?
Anyway, great work.

I just noticed that your email address is on the official website. I'm sending you the files right now.

Laro24Date: Wednesday, 2009-12-30, 5:41 PM | Message # 6
True fan
Group: Checked
Hello, ur suggestion is pretty good. :P Yeah, Paris is way too small. It's under martial law right? NYC was too, but Paris doesn't have Riot cops, but normal cops, and they aren't attacking you. It would be nice to add that yeah. :P

Edit: Ur English is pretty well, far better then mine. :P

Cheers,
Laro24

Message edited by Laro24 - Wednesday, 2009-12-30, 5:42 PM

Babeuf97Date: Saturday, 2010-01-02, 11:48 PM | Message # 7
Visitor
Hi Laro24! Thanks for your comment smile

You are right, there are no riot cops in Paris; I wasn't quite sure when I wrote that, and have checked ever since:p
Adding some would be great, obviously, but I cannot speak in the name of the team wink
However, I don't think cops should be hostile to the player; precisely I like the fact that it is your behaviour which determines their attitude. For example, in the shop in the level before Porte de l'Enfer: if you burglarize this place and get noticed cops will attack you, whereas if you don't they'll just ignore you as if you were an average civilian.It may not be realistic (you are a kind of public enemy at this point and should be recognized), but it is probably better for the gameplay!

Cheers,
Babeuf 97.

Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » Suggestions » suggestions about Paris
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright Deus Ex Revision © 2024