Deus Ex Revision
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » Technical area. » Revision&Shifter fix?
Revision&Shifter fix?
AgelessDate: Saturday, 2009-09-12, 3:48 AM | Message # 1
Familial
Group: Moderators
In the FAQ it says that Revision comes with the Revision&Shifter fix, but where is it? Is it included in the installer, or a separate program and if the latter, what's its name and where to find it?

I ask as my girlfriend has finally seen the light and now wants to go play Revision as well, although she'll wait for 1.3
But she has updated to HDTP and Shifter, so the latter will need to be fixed. Or not?

Jord.

TrasherDate: Saturday, 2009-09-12, 5:06 AM | Message # 2
Creator & Mapper
Group: Administrators
The Revision&Shifter fix is not included in the latest Demo pack. FYI, you can play Revision with shifter enabled. Although there may be some small issues in some levels but that shouldnt affect too much on the gameplay part. Björn know's more about it.. I'll tell him to check out this topic. He can give you a better answer since he's in charge of Revision&Shifter fix. smile

AgelessDate: Saturday, 2009-09-12, 2:02 PM | Message # 3
Familial
Thanks, Trasher. smile

Jord.

bjorn98009_91Date: Sunday, 2009-09-13, 10:11 PM | Message # 4
Coder & General Support
Ok, here is the lowdown on the fix. Shifter has some text in the DeusEx.int file, e-mail messages and customizable stuff. We are using DeusEx.rev (so that we are not overwriting the .int file) and in DeuxEx.rev there is no Shifter stuff. All the program does is make a copy of the .int file, rename it to .rev and add Revision things like "Welcome to Deus Ex Revision".

So if you want it compatible with revision just make a copy of DeuxEx.int and rename it to DeusEx.rev. That's the quick workaround.

motubDate: Friday, 2010-02-12, 11:18 PM | Message # 5
Visitor
Group: Users
Hey Trasher and bjorn, thanks for the assist (I'm the girlfriend in question).

Thought I'd let you know how my alternative solution worked out.

Reading bjorn's response, it seemed to me that since Shifter changes the *.int file, and since Revison just copies, renames and appends to whatever *.int file is there, that if I just installed Shifter first, the Shifter *.int would be the one copied, renamed and appended to.

So that's what I did, and it appears to have been perfectly successful, with one minor issue.

In-game, naturally the title and so forth were changed to reflect Revision-- the first run, that little message saying welcome to Revision, enjoy! was a nice confirmation that Revision was in fact running (even after the splash screen and the fact that I was running Revision.exe rather than Deus Ex.exe), before I had moved to see anything different about the map itself. Under the main menu, some inserted text notes 'Shifter v. 1.8.3', so I also have confirmation that Shifter is running before I move into the map and see any new or changed items.

Further into the first map (I love Liberty Island, actually smile ), it's easy to see the Revision changes to the map, and after you kill/disable a few NSF, it's easy to see that Shifter is also working (having a stack of 6 Combat Knives is a big tipoff). I haven't yet tried the Shifter-added Alt-Fire key to throw them, but the Shifter-added button assignment is there in the *.rev file to do that, so it should all work fine.

The only issue I encountered 'behind the scenes' was that the last two groups from the Shifter *.int file got cut off when copied to the *.rev file. I haven't done a detailed diff between the two files to check if anything else got mangled in some way, but a moderately attentive manual scan of the two files didn't seem to have any major losses other than that.

The two 'lost' groups aren't important, really (a second copy of the IFF Augmentation description for some reason, and an email from Paul that probably refers to a unique Shifter item found in his appartment), but I copied them from the *.int file and appended them to the end of the *.rev file and am playing through to see if it will work (which it seems like it should, unless there's some kind of a file size or line/character limit attached to the *.rev file or something).

Otherwise, so far (of course, I'm still clearing Liberty Island, so I haven't got far at all in this 'new-style' game) all elements of both Revision and Shifter seem to be working as expected via the (even simpler) expedient of installing Shifter first, so that its *.int file, rather than the default, is the one copied to the *.rev file.

And for those interested, you may also be glad to hear that this whole process (both the installation, and the modified game itself) appear to be working so perfectly under Wine in Linux (since that's where I'm doing all this smile ).

Thanks again for your help, and for the mod-- it's a bit tough, but I'm enjoying it very much so far. Can't wait to get to Hell's Kitchen and see what's going on on those rooftops.... biggrin

Holly.

TrasherDate: Saturday, 2010-02-13, 12:52 PM | Message # 6
Creator & Mapper
Hey there, Holly!

Welcome to our forums! Sadly, I don't know much about all these rev. and int. files. Björn is in charge of that kind of stuff. wink

I hope you enjoy the demo eventhough it's a little incomplete.

bjorn98009_91Date: Sunday, 2010-02-14, 8:15 PM | Message # 7
Coder & General Support
Hi Holly!

I'm sorry, it seems like I totally suck at explaining.
The "Revision&Shifter fix" program is the one that copies DeusEx.int and renames it DeusEx.rev, and Revision stuff to the newly copied file. Because the program copies the existing DeusEx.int into DeusEx.rev, you can have Shifter installed and it "Shifterizes" your DeusEx.rev. However this program is not complete yet (in fact I haven't even started; school stuff and lack of free time etc.)

So the DeusEx.rev that is included in the installer at the moment, is actually the original (vanilla) DeusEx.int with our Revision stuff. Thus it has no Shifter specific stuff in it. The fix I offered is that you take your Shifter DeusEx.int, copy and rename it to DeusEx.rev (overwriting the file included with the installer). Then you have a file with the Shifter stuff, without Revision content. You will loose the "Welcome to Revision" message, and a few other things, but nothing to effect game play because Shifter text, like e-mails is still there.

motubDate: Sunday, 2010-02-14, 11:43 PM | Message # 8
Visitor
Group: Users
Hi, Bjorn!

I get what you're saying, but this is not my experience. My *.rev file does indeed contain both Revision stuff (like the "Welcome to Revision" titles), as well as Shifter stuff (such as the Alt-Fire button assignment, and the Shifter version legend under the main menu), and in fact Shifter seems to be working fine; I already have a Shifter-adjusted augmentation (Shifter merges Microfibral Muscle and Combat Strength into one augmentation and adds a new one, Electrostatic Discharge. The first cannister I got.contained the correct description for the merged Microfibral Muscle aug as well as the new Electrostatic Discharge aug). When I started this game, as I mentioned, I did get the "Welcome to Revision!" message, and I noticed in passing that the window titles also say "Revision", so the game must be using the *.rev file rather than the Shifter-provided *.int file.

In fact, you can compare for yourself.

http://www.4shared.com/file/222188233/a091f85e/DE_ints_and_revs.html

Here you can download a zip containing the original *.int file (from backup), the Shifter *.int file (copied from my Deus Ex\System folder), and my *.rev file (ditto). The only changes I made to the "original" *.rev file that Revision installed was to append the last two groups (the AugIFF description and an [Mission02] email from Paul-- which I can't check because apparently Revision removes Paul's computer from his apartment) to the end of the file. But even just above that, you can see the description for the Dragon's Breath explosive shells, which do not exist in the original *.int file, but are added by Shifter.

I promise you I did not rename my Shifter *.int file to *.rev; I really just installed Shifter, then Revision, then compared the *.rev file to the .int file to make sure nothing had got cut off, and appended what had got cut off (which was only those last two groups).

So like I said, I get what you're saying, but seriously, there's a *.rev file already in the installer? I can't then explain my results. What are the other things that I could check for, other than the welcome message? Now you've got me curious.

Holly.

Message edited by motub - Sunday, 2010-02-14, 11:48 PM

AgelessDate: Monday, 2010-02-15, 0:03 AM | Message # 9
Familial

Activating URL.

Jord.

bjorn98009_91Date: Saturday, 2010-02-27, 1:29 AM | Message # 10
Coder & General Support
Upon closer inspection I see that you are totally right. It appears to be the Shifter version but with our Revision stuff in it as well. Strange, I made sure when I wrote that post earlier that it was indeed the vanilla file that we modified, I must have been mistaken. But that's good news! Strange though that not the email and AugIFF description was included.

But yeah, every file that Revision installs is in the installer. I'm not copying any files and altering them, if I could do that with the installer then I could just "build" a Deus Ex.rev from DeusEx.int during installation and I would perfectly fit with any mods that had modified the DeusEx.int. I really appreciate your attention to details! biggrin Too bad that I got my hands full with school (graduating this summer) and other stuff so that I don't have time for Revision. That's why I'm really slow on checking the forums as well. But fear not, I will return some day and fix everything! biggrin

Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » Technical area. » Revision&Shifter fix?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright Deus Ex Revision © 2024