Deus Ex Revision
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » Technical area. » Steam (Strange effects...)
Steam
DraegurDate: Saturday, 2009-09-19, 8:26 PM | Message # 1
Visitor
Group: Users
When attempting to run Revision on my steam install, it actually -does- start! The problem, though, is that it never plays the intro scene, and abruptly kills the game after the FIRST mission! It says "Deus Ex is now out in stores, go out and buy it today!"
What the hell is this!? You guys said you had it up to Hong Kong! is it SUPPOSED to give me ONLY the first mission? PLEASE tell me I can fucking kill this. PLEASE. because Shifter doesn't seem to work at all when I try to play Deus Ex without revision, and I just don't feel like it's worth it without revision at this point.

AgelessDate: Saturday, 2009-09-19, 8:48 PM | Message # 2
Familial
Group: Moderators
And you're sure it isn't the fault of the Steam version of DE? Looking at their forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233) they have loads of issues, including people whose game crashes out of the blue and even one for whom Paul is no longer in the game at a crucial point.

Besides... Steam is all nice and wonderful, but AFAIK you can't really mod the games they've got on there.

Jord.

TrasherDate: Saturday, 2009-09-19, 11:38 PM | Message # 3
Creator & Mapper
Group: Administrators
Hello Draegur, Welcome to our forum.

Quote (Draegur)
You guys said you had it up to Hong Kong! is it SUPPOSED to give me ONLY the first mission?

Yes that is true. All the maps from 00_Intro to 08_Street's are contained in the latest Demo release.

Ageless kindly answered you just how the things are. Sorry to say this but, I recommend you to get rid of the steam version of Deus Ex and get it from somewhere else, if you want to play DX with mods without all those problems that steam can only offer you. Since you've paid for it, just torrent it from somewhere.. I think that's a fair deal. Sorry, I can't give you a better answer for this.

By the way, is this your first time playing Deus Ex? If so, I do not recommend you to play DX through with Revision enabled.

DraegurDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 0:39 AM | Message # 4
Visitor
Quote (Trasher)
Since you've paid for it, just torrent it from somewhere..

You know... You're right. I legally own -several- copies of Deus Ex now, as a matter of fact! Hah! I must've bought this game four times, now, and beaten it several fold more than that. It's just a brilliant game! Prior to these recent excursions, I had never thought of modding it, but now that there's shifter, HDTP, ENB Series, and the up and coming Revision, good gods how could I resist. I'm sorry my earlier post sounded as pissy as it did. I reacted rather irrationally to the whole thing, feeling ridiculously as though I'd been wronged or misled, but I am greatly impressed by the maturity and responsiveness of your community happy

So yeah. I own it. I might as well just torrent the whole deal and start playing it outside of steam. It's weird; I've had this 'legalization' kick going on. Ever since I started having a small bit of money to spread around, I've been picking up legally certified copies of all the stuff I used to gank for free. What can I say! Some things deserve to be owned. I'm kind of surprised I didn't think of pirating it, but that might explain why.

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 2:04 AM | Message # 5
Creator & Mapper
It's alright Draegur. We all have bad days.

Best thing to do now is to get a GOTY torrent from somewhere. When you get to the point when you're about to start playing Revision, remember that it's just a demo. Some areas may not be perfect like Hotel&Hell's Kitchen. We're working on them though. Last, but not the least, there are some bugs around. For more information, check out the "Known bugs" topic.

If you run into some problems, dont hesitate to ask for help.

DraegurDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 2:30 AM | Message # 6
Visitor
this is no longer about steam. Torrented and downloaded the iso, installed it fresh after killing my steam copy. Intro does not play. First mission kills itself at "Thank you for playing the demo" screen. *sigh* Well, I hope somebody here knows what it means.

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 2:34 AM | Message # 7
Creator & Mapper
Re-Download Revision Demo 1.2 and try again.

AgelessDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 2:52 AM | Message # 8
Familial
Group: Moderators
That may be some side-effect of Steam as well. Make sure that there are no .ini files and such left over from your Steam version. You're not installing it in the same directory as where the Steam version was installed?

Else it's best to install GOTY in a completely different location, preferably even on a different drive or partition.

Jord.

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 3:28 AM | Message # 9
Creator & Mapper
Exactly as Ageless said. GOTY also fixes some bugs from the very first version of DX. If I remember correctly.

DraegurDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 6:34 AM | Message # 10
Visitor
Ah great. Now it's SHIFTER that isn't working... I don't think their forums were active anymore, though. I just have terrible luck x.x

EDIT: MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAA~! I HAVE IT NOW!
I had to muck about in DeusEx.Rev with notepad to incorporate all of shifter's stuff. I also changed application name to Deus Ex Revision Demo 1.2 with Shifter, just to make it acknowledge shifter's GREATNESS. Fun stuff. I guess that's what the shifter fix was supposed to be for, but oh well tongue

LET my story be a cautionary tale to all others whom are also applicably plagued.

EDIT II:
... dammit, I spoke too soon. NO SHIFTER FEATURES ARE OPERATIONAL. >_< god DAMMIT! How much more bullshit am I going to need to shovel!? *sigh* updates as they happen...

Message edited by Draegur - Sunday, 2009-09-20, 6:57 AM

bjorn98009_91Date: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 11:15 AM | Message # 11
Coder & General Support
Strange... :/ Btw, in the 1.2 Revision&ShifterFix isn't included, hence you need to edit the .rev file. That will not be necessary with later releases of this mod.

Hmm, I guess that you have uninstalled Deus Ex and Revision completely from Steam. Be sure to remove the game from steamapps as well...

Also run some kind of registry cleaner like CCleaner to remove any old references...

Then install, DX. Run it once to be on the safe side and then install Revision....

DraegurDate: Sunday, 2009-09-20, 9:05 PM | Message # 12
Visitor
Unfortunately, that is not the case.
I ripped out and uninstalled the steam version completely. There is no c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\deusex directory anymore.
After killing that install, I installed it from the ISO that I downloaded.
Then I ran the 1112FM Patch.
Then I disabled the CD directory from DeusEx.ini
Then I installed New Vision, HDTP, and ENBSeries,
After that, I put on Revision and then Shifter.

You know, it occurs to me that maybe I'm doing it backwards. do you think that could be the case? Is there some kind of "right" order to do it in that isn't documented anywhere because it's supposed to be obvious and it went totally over my head?

Also it ought to be noted that there are probably some steps I performed that I can't think to list here. Easier to remember this stuff -as- I do it.
such as: running Deus Ex right after it had been patched to make sure that HDTP and Revision don't wig out.

Added (2009-09-20, 9:05 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Third attempt at reinstallation. Shifter works in HDTP, but -NOT- in revision. Also, revision is pulling it "Im only a demo, LOL" bullshit again. *sigh*

Message edited by Draegur - Sunday, 2009-09-20, 6:48 PM

bjorn98009_91Date: Monday, 2009-09-21, 0:19 AM | Message # 13
Coder & General Support
Hmm, very strange indeed... Revision works with HDTP, NV and ENBSeries? Could you post a screenshot of that "I'm only a demo" message and how you got it..

DraegurDate: Monday, 2009-09-21, 1:01 AM | Message # 14
Visitor
I had everything up and running--ALMOST. Oh man it was so close. Now they refuse to recognize eachother -_- I'm not sure what steps to take and in what order to ever get it working well enough to make it run as well as when I started this damned thread again.

See right now, the BIGGEST problem I'm having is that revision is completely oblivious to the existence of HDTP and Shifter...

I run revision, and it has not the slightest clue that there are revision models to use, so all the in game objects like crates look ugly. Also it has no clue that Shifter replaced DeusEx.u and DeusEx.int with its own, so it conveniently forgets ALL about alternate fire, enhanced NPC loot, skill points for kills, and tweaked augs... over which I am regrettably becoming very, very pissed off. I've reinstalled Deus Ex literally five times today, and a total of 11 times over this entire weekend!

Shifter makes the play rewarding. HDTP makes the details interesting. Revision makes the environment interesting. Also I am using NV, but it was working fine with all three, funny enough.
Luckily I've just been too stubborn to just throw up my hands and say 'fuck it' to the whole mess and go play something else!

It's also worth saying that HDTP does recognize shifter, and ENBSeries is ubiquitously operational, but running HDTP does not incorporate the revision maps. ... Ugh. You know, I'm about to do something stupid and destructive, and I'll tell you how it goes in a bit. Essentially, I'm just going to hurl all of revision's files into HDTP's directories and beat it with a hammer until it all fits inside. It's most likely going to crash. Then I will most likely mass-delete the entire Deus Ex directory and start all over again. I'm just sooooooooo fed up -_-

Message edited by Draegur - Monday, 2009-09-21, 1:04 AM

TrasherDate: Monday, 2009-09-21, 1:22 AM | Message # 15
Creator & Mapper
Wow, I'm very surprised now.

Alright here's the deal:

1st. Remove all files related to Deus Ex(not the installers e.g the iso file, hdtp installer etc.)
2nd. Search through CCleaner for possible Deus Ex related registry errors.
3rd. Install Deus Ex GOTY to a fresh folder(I have it like C:\Games\Deus Ex)
4th. After done with the installation, run it and configure the settings you most desire.
5th. Install HDTP(some HDTP files should appear to your system folder, and there should also appear a folder named HDTP in your root Deus Ex directory)
6th. Run HDTP and see if it works.
7th. Install Revision Demo 1.2 to your ROOT Deus Ex folder(I have it like C:\Games\Deus Ex\Revision)
8th. Run Revision from the shortcut icon which just appeared to your desktop after the installation(you must use this shortcut when you're about to play Revision!). Go see if it works with HDTP.
9th. Install Shifter and enjoy your modded Deus Ex!

I hope it works now.

Revision Discussion Board » Revision Discussion » Technical area. » Steam (Strange effects...)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright Deus Ex Revision © 2024