Deus Ex Revision
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Revision Discussion Board » General Discussion » Other Discussion » An idea to think about. (Name says it all.)
An idea to think about.
Kee715Date: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 7:36 AM | Message # 1
True fan
Group: Users
I recently installed Half-Life 2 and I thought"would a Deus Ex port to the Source graphics engine be a good idea".So I thought about it some more,and then I considered this...The Source graphics engine is beautiful,comes with excellent physics,and can be easily modified to just about anything.Also Half-Life 2 is about $20 and also comes with a free SDK,so it would be easy to purcase,install(requires VALVe's Steam software distribution service though),and then modify(free SDK and Garry's Mod($10)).so I was wanting to know what y'all thought about the idea(note:I was not planning to do this,but maybe in the future maybe if I can learn how to use the SDK and Garry's Mod,soon I hope).Any way I wanted y'all's opinions.

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with a Minigun, Chainsaw, and a big a** Cannon.
I'm a gamer at heart, but I'm limited by my surroundings...

Message edited by Kee715 - Sunday, 2008-10-05, 7:36 AM

bjorn98009_91Date: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 12:43 PM | Message # 2
Coder & General Support
Group: Administrators
Well we already got the Reborn mod that will port the game to a new engine... And that is hard enough. However porting the game to the source engine will be even harder because you can't convert things from UT to HL2 because they are entire different engines maybe not even using the same formats. From UT to UT2004 won't be quite that hard I believe. If you follow me...

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 1:40 PM | Message # 3
Creator & Mapper
As bjorn said. Porting a game to another engine isnt as easy as it sounds. You gotta be expert in coding if you want to do this. Yes - source engine is very handy and has good capabilities.

Kee715Date: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:25 PM | Message # 4
True fan
I know but I really like the source engine wich is why I posted the idea,I was not planning for this to happen soon at all.Maybe within the next decade or so,after reborn.Oh and is UT2004 multiplayer only,or is play against the A.I.?Because with a name like Unreal Tournament I would expect it to multiplayer only.

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:36 PM | Message # 5
Creator & Mapper
UT2004 is mainly a MP game but also has a single player game against bots. This doesnt mean that Reborn will be MP only...

Kee715Date: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:42 PM | Message # 6
True fan
I went looking to see if anyone has already thought of this,and someone has.It is called Deus Ex:Substance(Working Title) and can be found at Mod DB,but it only has two pictures(one logo and one poster concept),and it was last updated two years ago(or at least the Mod DB says so)so I think it was as dead as The Klystron Project(I have yet to see proof it isn't dead).

Added (2008-10-05, 8:42 Pm)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Trasher)
UT2004 is mainly a MP game but also has a single player game against bots. This doesnt mean that Reborn will be MP only...
I didn't mean Reborn,I meant the game.But okay,thanks for the info.

Message edited by Kee715 - Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:43 PM

TrasherDate: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:43 PM | Message # 7
Creator & Mapper
Wow - this is the first time when I see this. Too bad the mod is dead. If you are really gonna port DX to Source engine I wish u good luck.

Kee715Date: Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:44 PM | Message # 8
True fan
After I figure out how I will try.Deus Ex has a lot of stuff in it,so I can kinda understand it being dead(life+big game to port=dead mod).

Message edited by Kee715 - Sunday, 2008-10-05, 8:46 PM

bjorn98009_91Date: Monday, 2008-10-06, 0:14 AM | Message # 9
Coder & General Support
Interesting indeed ^^ As Trasher said, too bad about the mod being dead. It's a shame really, so many Deus Ex mods gets started but only a handful gets finished.
I should really begin learning to mod for DX and get into the coding! I'm already a VB .NET coder and know a little bit of C++, how hard could it be?

Kee715Date: Monday, 2008-10-06, 2:15 AM | Message # 10
True fan
What is C++?I kept having an error with a program and the error said something about C++.I uninstalled the program but I have heard about C++ in modding.

bjorn98009_91Date: Monday, 2008-10-06, 9:23 PM | Message # 11
Coder & General Support
C++ is a programming language, many games like Half-Life 2 are written in C++, and in fact HL2 requires all mods or code for that matter to be in C++ in contrast to Unreal Engine and it's UnrealScript language.

And the error you encountered may have said something about "C++ Runtime" missing, and the runtime are some essential files to run a C++ program.

Message edited by bjorn98009_91 - Tuesday, 2008-10-07, 9:08 AM

Kee715Date: Tuesday, 2008-11-25, 7:58 PM | Message # 12
True fan
Ok,thanks.

Added (2008-11-25, 7:58 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
Cool news! Someone has started another Deus Ex: Source mod. Here is the link:http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-source-a-half-life-2-modification Their release date says 2009, but knowing how Deus Ex works vs. how games in the Source engine work I think it will be at least 2010 before it's done. I think this one might actually get finished. They don't have their own site yet, in fact they've only just been listed on Mod DB. I think the HUD concept is prety cool, and shows they're definately working on this, but they've still got a lot of work to do.

Message edited by Kee715 - Tuesday, 2008-11-25, 8:01 PM

TrasherDate: Tuesday, 2008-11-25, 9:11 PM | Message # 13
Creator & Mapper
Thats just great. I really hope that the team thats working on this project will use the capabilities of Source engine a lot.

bjorn98009_91Date: Tuesday, 2008-11-25, 9:38 PM | Message # 14
Coder & General Support
This is great! Hope they finish it...

Laro24Date: Tuesday, 2008-12-02, 11:50 PM | Message # 15
True fan
Group: Checked
Cool! I got Half-Life 2, both episodes. Seems great! cool

Revision Discussion Board » General Discussion » Other Discussion » An idea to think about. (Name says it all.)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright Deus Ex Revision © 2024